Young Researchers Forum (YRF) is the official consortium of the researchers registered for the postgraduate studies at the Postgraduate Institute of Science (PGIS), University of Peradeniya. The forum consists of full-time and part-time researchers who come from various fields to contribute to the empowerment of the empirical and theoretical research in Sri Lanka and thereby foster the development of the country. Currently the YRF members are involved in researches that deal with the disciplines of Chemical sciences, Geological sciences, Computer sciences, Plant sciences, Environmental sciences, Biochemical sciences, Mathematical sciences and Multidisciplinary areas.
The forum was established in 2005 at the seminar themed “Challenges and Opportunities in Scientific Research for Young Researchers” aimed to bring up the young researchers to a collaboration where all the young researchers share their experience and knowledge to a common goal of enlightening the future of researchers who are at the early stage of their career.
Hence, the elite prime vision of the YRf is to
- Realize the potential of young researchers as the next generation of scientists.
- Interact and exchange information pertaining to scientific research in order to disseminate knowledge and extend collaboration among different groups (local and foreign) of similar interests.
- Generate a research climate that allows for creativity, open communication and free flow of ideas and talents.
- Create a platform to bring to the attention of the authorities and government, the problem faced by young researchers in carrying out scientific research in Sri Lanka.
- Promote public awareness and importance of scientific research.
As for now, YRF is being the voice of young researchers as well as the strength of postgraduate students at the University of Peradeniya. Pre-eminent commitment of the all the committee members previous and current, indefatigable guidance of the staff members and invaluable support of the YRF members have paid off with a well-established forum to the dignity. The forum never hesitates to express their gratitude to everyone who contributed for the journey so far.
Following is the list of the committee members of the Young Researchers’ Forum designated for the year of 2013/2014.
Yasoja Athugala (President)
Thanuja kulasooriya (Secretary)
YRF welcomes all the postgraduate students (Ph.D., M.Phil. and M.Sc.) registered at the Postgraduate Institute of Science, young scientists and university staff members who are active scientific researchers at the University of Peradeniya or other Universities and Research institutes to come and join with us to make a noble impact to the research culture in Sri Lanka.